- Most stimulants, including cocaine and Ritalin
- Most hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD
- Cannabis products (although there is mounting evidence that there may be a significant physical process of withdrawal that occurs in chronic users of cannabis products)
- Many inhalant products
- Many psychotropic medications, such as antidepressant medications
Substances associated with the development of strong physical dependence typically include:
- Opiate drugs, such as heroin, morphine, Vicodin, etc.
- Benzodiazepines, such as Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc.
- Barbiturates, such as Seconal and phenobarbital.
Numerous drugs of abuse are described as having both physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms and fostering both forms of dependence.