Dr. Lawrence Weinstein
Dr. Lawrence Weinstein was appointed chief medical officer of AAC in August 2018. He is an accomplished physician executive with more than 20 years’ experience in managed behavioral healthcare. In addition to his extensive senior leadership background, he also delved into private practice, where he provided individual and group diagnostic psychotherapeutic services, family therapy and addiction psychiatry.
Dr. Weinstein has always been fascinated by the mysteries of the mind, and throughout his career, he’s explored different avenues to solve them. His career began in psychoanalysis, which allowed him to develop a deeper appreciation and understanding of the unconscious mind. This work led him to do research in psychoneuroimmunology. It was this research in how the brain impacts the immune system, and the connection of the brain to the rest of the body, that solidified his belief in mind-body connection and furthered his interest in providing a holistic approach to illness and treatment.
Throughout his career, Dr. Weinstein has set the standard for clinical and operational excellence, physician management and driving technology solutions that support clinical innovation. He brings this experience and an unwavering commitment to patient care to his role as AAC’s chief medical officer, where he oversees medical operations for all facilities and supervises the medical staff to ensure the highest quality of care.
Dr. Weinstein’s quest to learn is not limited to his time at work. In his spare time, he enjoys learning about different world cultures, exploring new places and traveling in general. His other passions include downhill skiing and boating. Being in the mountains or on the water is the best way for him to recharge and refocus.
Credentials & Education
- Psychiatry residency – Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Internal Medicine, Neurology and Psychiatry Internship – Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Medical School – Kiev Medical Institute, Kiev Ukraine
- Medical School – Ross University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Board Certified – Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board Certified – Diplomate of American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Chief Medical Officer, Humana Behavioral Health (2018)
- Senior Vice President, Catasys Inc. (2011)
- West Region Medical Director/Senior Plan Officer for Department of Managed Health Care, PacifiCare Behavioral Health (2006)
- American Medical Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- American Associations for Physician Leadership
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology