Alcohol and Drug Abuse Statistics
If you are thinking of seeking treatment for yourself or a loved one, you are not alone. The number of people suffering from addiction in America is astounding. Let’s take a look at some numbers starting with adolescents.
Statistics on Drug Addiction
Drug and alcohol abuse can be scary. What’s more frightening is when you’re the one battling a substance use disorder (SUD) or an alcohol use disorder (AUD), and you don’t have a solution to the problem. American Addiction Centers provides 24-hour medical detox, premium treatment, and ongoing care. If you’re struggling with an AUD or SUD and are looking for a solution, reach out to one of our admissions navigators at
Find Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers Near You
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
- See All Treatment Centers
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2018). Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States: Results from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2017). Trends & Statistics.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Drugs, Brains, and Behavior: The Science of Addiction.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2015). Today’s Heroin Epidemic.
- Mattson, M., Lipari, R., Hays, C., and Van Horn, S. (2017). A Day in the Life of Older Adults: Substance Use Facts. Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, The CBHSQ Report.
- Bogunovic, O. (2012). Substance Abuse in Aging and Elderly Adults. Psychiatric Times, 29(8).
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2018). Results from the 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed Tables.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Substance Use in Women.
- Kurtz, A. (2013). 1 in 6 unemployed are substance abusers. CNN Money.
- Sack, D. (2014). We can’t afford to ignore drug addiction in prison. The Washington Post.
- National Institutes of Health. (2018). Addiction and the Criminal Justice System.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine. (2016). Opioid Addiction Facts & Figures.
- Cleland, C., Rosenblum, A., Fong, C., and Maxwell, C. (2011). Age differences in heroin and prescription opioid abuse among enrollees into opioid treatment programs. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, 6, 11.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2015). Drug and Alcohol Use in College-Age Adults in 2014.
- Facing Addiction with NCADD. Facts About Alcohol.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2018). Alcohol Facts and Statistics.
- Alcoholics Anonymous. (2018). Estimated Worldwide A.A. Individual and Group Membership.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Drug Addiction Treatment in the United States.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Treatment and Recovery.
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services. (2012). Survey: Ten Percent of American Adults Report Being in Recovery from Substance Abuse or Addiction.