Recognizing that you or someone you love has a substance use disorder can be overwhelming. Coupled with the uncertainty of where to turn for help or what rehab consists of, it is understandable why you may feel vulnerable and anxious when it comes to seeking treatment. Therefore, your rehab setting might make a big difference in your decision to seek drug rehab treatment. A rehab facility located in a peaceful area or with special amenities, such as proximity to the beach or an ocean view, can sometimes help motivate you to go to treatment.
Benefits of Rehabs Near the Beach
Rehabilitation centers located near the beach are inherently set beside an expansive natural wonder – the wide-open ocean. Research shows that spending time in nature (which rehabs close to the beach naturally incorporate given their location) can reduce stress, depression, and anxiety, as well as improve immune function and emotional regulation; all of which are dynamics typically addressed in the treatment of addiction.
Attention restoration therapy (ART) operates upon a widely-accepted theory that exposure to nature supports the restoration process.1 This is due, in part, to the fact that nature promotes a type of “soft fascination” where your attention is naturally drawn to fascinating objects and phenomena that you witness around you.1 Having an awareness of the patterns, sensations, and feelings that result from human-nature interactions can facilitate mental states similar to those that occur during meditation.1
In other words, choosing a rehab center that is situated in a place full of natural wonder, such as the ocean, might be conducive to developing a healthier state of mind while in recovery from substance abuse issues. Additionally, a rehab facility situated near the beach is often more private than facilities located in urban areas and can offer some physical distance from everyday life’s stressors.1
If you are considering going to a rehab center near the beach, view more information regarding beach or oceanside rehab centers below.
American Addiction Centers offers a variety of substance abuse treatment options located near the beach or ocean. Call
Treatment Types and Therapy Programs
There are many types of treatment options for people struggling with substance use disorder and each person’s needs should be assessed individually to determine the appropriate placement.2
Detoxification is often the first step in the rehabilitation treatment process if you are physically dependent on drugs or alcohol or are suffering from withdrawal symptoms.2 After you successfully complete a detox program, a proper assessment by a healthcare provider will help determine your next best level of care.
The most common types of treatment include:2
- Long-term residential treatment: Long-term residential treatment usually refers to treatment that lasts 6–12 months and provides 24-hour care.
- Short-term residential treatment: Short-term residential treatment provides brief but intensive treatment, often lasting 3–6 weeks.
- Outpatient Treatment: Outpatient treatment is more cost-effective and less intense than residential treatment, allowing people to continue to work and live at home. Many outpatient programs include group counseling as well.
- Individual and group counseling: Individual counseling addresses all aspects of a person’s life, not just their substance use. Individual counseling will also address financial, legal, and relationship dynamics as well. Group counseling provides social interaction and peer support
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a type of therapy proven to be effective in addiction treatment. It addresses negative thought patterns that can contribute to maladaptive behaviors like substance abuse.3 This type of therapy also focuses on developing coping skills and relapse prevention strategies.3
Studies show that the best outcomes are related to longer durations of treatment.4 After a person is discharged from a treatment program, it is vital that they stay engaged in the recovery process. Support groups like AA or SMART recovery can help people stay connected with a sober community and have access to ongoing peer support.4
Many people who have a substance use disorder also have a co-occurring mental health disorder.5 People entering treatment should be assessed for the presence of a co-occurring disorder so that treatment can address both. Substance use disorders and mental health conditions often have overlapping risk factors, such as genetic vulnerabilities, environmental influences, stress, and trauma.5
Mental illness can contribute to a SUD, and a SUD can contribute to the development of mental health conditions.5 It matters less which came first. Instead, what is important is to address co-occurring disorders simultaneously in treatment.
Laguna Treatment Hospital is just a short drive to the southern California oceanfront and offers medically managed detoxification services and a full continuum of care at the state-of-the-art facility.
How Much Does Rehab Cost Near the Beach?
Treatment costs at rehab facilities near the beach will vary based on multiple factors, including the duration of a person’s stay, what their specific health insurance plan covers, and whether the facility is in-network with their insurance company. To determine the exact cost of your chosen beach rehab center, call that facility directly or discuss other in-network options with your insurance carrier.
Can I Go to the Beach During Treatment?
Some beach rehab centers do offer therapeutic outings and recreational excursions to the beach. Research has confirmed the health benefits and positive effects of exposure to nature and mindfulness interventions.1 Environmental enhancement (EE) can also create therapeutic benefits in the treatment of substance use disorders.6
Environmental enhancement interventions go hand in hand with a rehab facility located near the beach, as EE includes physical activity, social interaction, recreation, and community involvement.6 Many treatment centers near natural settings will take advantage of their location if there are therapeutic benefits to outings near the ocean.
How Far Is Treatment From the Beach?
Rehabs near the beach will vary in their distance from the ocean. For instance, Laguna Treatment Hospital is about a 15-minute drive to the beach. Recovery First Treatment Center, located in Hollywood Florida, is approximately 15–25 minutes from the beach.
If the idea of treatment near the beach is appealing to you, these two treatment centers are both excellent options.
- Djernis, D., Lerstrup, I., Poulsen, D., Stigsdotter, U., Dahlgaard, J., & O’Toole, M. (2019). A systematic review and meta-analysis of nature-based mindfulness: effects of moving mindfulness training into an outdoor natural setting. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(17), 3202.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Types of treatment programs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Cognitive-behavioral therapy (alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, nicotine).
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of effective treatment.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020). Why is there comorbidity between substance use disorders and mental illness?
- Galaj, E., Barrera, E. D., & Ranaldi, R. (2020). Therapeutic efficacy of environmental enhancement for substance use disorders. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior,188,