You are not alone.
We can help you.
Let's chat.
american addiction centers photo

How to Legally Remove a Drug Addict from Your Home

7 Sections
3 min read
What you will learn:
How to legally remove an addict from your home.
Understanding the state laws.
Learning how to set boundaries.
Why call us?

The Formal Legal Process for Evictions

The legal process of evicting someone from a residence is not simple.

The accepted formal procedure for evicting someone from their residence is to consult with an attorney and file a legal motion with a court. The court will then hear the reasons as to why an individual believes that a person who lives with them or rents from them should be removed from the residence. Physically throwing someone out or locking them out of their residence is not an acceptable way to deal with the situation; in many cases, it can leave an individual open for formal charges and even a potential civil suit if the evicted party decides to take legal action.

Ways to Get in Contact With Us

If you believe you or someone you love may be struggling with addiction, let us hear your story and help you determine a path to treatment.

There are a variety of confidential, free, and no obligation ways to get in contact with us to learn more about treatment.

Evicting a Child

For instance, according to numerous sources, the judicial system often takes a very dim view of parents who kick their children out of the child’s home, even if the child is a legal adult. If a child over the age of 16 files for emancipation and is successful, then the parents do not have the obligation to provide for the child; however, if the child has established their residence in the parents’ home, the parents must still go through formal legal procedures to remove the child from the home in many states. Children who are not legally emancipated or who are minors are typically not evicted from their parents’ homes unless there is a very good legal reason for doing so, or the child has committed some crime that results in them being incarcerated.

Evicting an Adult

For adults who have an established residence in an individual’s home even if they are not paying rent and are disruptive or dangerous, the process to formally evict someone must be accomplished through formal legal channels. Someone who has not established a legal residence in a dwelling, such as someone who just comes into your home and decides to live there without some formal agreement, can be evicted; however, the best approach to having them removed is to call local law enforcement officers and explain the situation to them. Then, the law enforcement officers can formally remove the individual from the residence if they believe that this removal is justified. 

It’s not easy watching a loved one battle a substance use disorder. It’s even harder to draw the line between enabling their use and loving them. Specifically, forcing an adult with an active addiction out of your home can be uncomfortable for everyone. American Addiction Centers has locations across the country, providing 24-hour medical detox, treatment, and aftercare services, all available outside the home. If your loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, please reach out to one of our admissions navigators at so they can get the help they need right now.

Eviction Laws Vary by State

Map of the United States.There are specific legal definitions of what defines residence and/or a person’s domicile that vary from state to state. Individuals who wish to review these stipulations as they are applied in their state or locality can visit their state’s website for more information on how these terms are legally defined (e.g., if one lives in California, visit People can also call their local state information agents and ask them where to find this information; typically, these contact phone numbers are given on the state’s website.

In some cases, individuals who are renting may have guests who abuse drugs and become a perceived threat. Most renters typically have a formal written rental agreement that defines when a guest staying in the home becomes a tenet of the dwelling according to the landlord. One can check with their formal rental contract regarding this situation. These stipulations may also be specified by local and state governments.

Again, it is best to seek legal counsel when a person has a question regarding how these situations are legally defined.

If someone living in your home is involved in criminal behavior that you consider to be either dangerous or threatening to you, or the person is making physical threats, the best course of action is to contact local law enforcement authorities, explain the situation to them, and let them handle it. If the person is arrested and formally charged, you could conceivably attend the person’s formal arraignment hearing and make a case to the judge as to why you think the individual should not be allowed to return your home. Again, the best approach is to consult with an attorney before taking any formal legal action.

Setting Boundaries

For people who have lodgers in their homes and have some type of formal rental agreement, it is a very good idea to specify expectations regarding the expected behavior of the person as well as their use of alcohol or drugs in any formal contracts that are drawn up. When these written specifications are violated, it becomes far easier to make a case to have them removed from the residence.

Evicting an Addict

For individuals who live in a specific residence and do not have a formal written agreement, one can set specific boundaries regarding drug use and other behaviors that can help to discourage the person from engaging in these activities. However, this situation can become very sticky, and it is best to get written agreements regarding boundaries (which are really rules) for individuals who live with you and are not physical dependents. In the case of a physical dependent who is abusing drugs, it is also most likely a good idea to formally post your rules and regulations regarding such behaviors in an accessible area of the home. When such regulations are signed by someone or formally posted in the home, they provide concrete evidence that may help to get someone removed from the residence, but again, there is no guarantee that a judge will rule in your favor. As always, consult with an attorney regarding how to handle the situation.

The Bottom Line

The process of evicting someone from a residence is not as simple as many people believe. It requires a formal legal hearing in most cases, and anyone who has an issue with someone who lives with them should consult with an attorney before taking any action unless the person is physically threatening you or engaging in serious criminal behavior.

In these cases, the individual should consult with local law enforcement officials and let them resolve the situation.

Disclaimer: Anyone who wishes to seek information regarding legal procedures should consult with a licensed attorney before taking any action. This article is not intended to be a substitute for formal legal advice and makes no claims regarding the diffusion of responsibility for any individual who violates formal legal procedures regarding evicting someone from a residence.

Don’t wait. Call us now.
Our admissions navigators are available to help 24/7 to discuss treatment.
Why call us?