Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina for Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Do Rehabs in North Carolina Accept Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)?
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is a nationwide insurance provider that may cover rehab for drug and alcohol addiction depending on your plan and individual needs. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) is a not-for-profit company with operations centers in Durham, Fayetteville and Winston-Salem.1 BCBSNC may be able to cover at least some of the cost of medical detox, inpatient or outpatient rehab, or more long-term residential treatment programs.
If you have a substance use disorder, it is vital to find a treatment center or rehab program to help in your recovery journey. From April 2020 to April 2021, there were 3,332 reported drug overdose deaths in North Carolina.2 If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, it is important to find out your level of coverage for rehab with BCBS of North Carolina. Bear in mind, what you will and will not be covered for will depend on your individual plan.
Check Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Rehab Coverage
If you have BCBS of North Carolina, contact an admission advisor at in order to discuss your options, verify insurance coverage, and find treatment. You may also verify your insurance coverage instantly using the form below.
What Addiction Treatment Does Blue Cross NC Cover?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina lists substance abuse under behavioral health conditions and may be able to partially cover substance use disorder treatment.3 Depending on your plan, BCBSNC may cover at least part of the cost of:
- Detoxification – A professional drug detox program, also known as medically managed withdrawal, uses medications or other therapies to manage any potentially harmful side effects a person may experience as their body rids itself of a substance.
- Inpatient or Residential Treatment – A live-in program where patients have a highly-structured environment and receive care from addiction professionals. This is highly beneficial for patients as it allows them some distance from stressors in the outside world so they can focus entirely on their sobriety.
- Outpatient Rehab Treatment – Outpatient programs are less intensive than inpatient or residential programs but they still provide an appropriate treatment intensity to suit an individual’s needs and treatment goals. This form of treatment does not require you to stay overnight and can take place in multiple settings.
- Therapy – If you’re struggling with substance use disorder or other mental health conditions, individual or group therapy sessions may be helpful to further understand the reasons why an individual may abuse substances and how they can change this behavior.
- Medications – In the addiction treatment process, medications like suboxone or methadone may be used to wean patients off of a certain drug. The aim of this is to help individuals go through the withdrawal process and prevent relapse.
Always check what your BCBS of North Carolina insurance plan will and will not cover for an addiction rehab program. In order for you to attend a treatment facility or program that meets your needs, you may find that you will have to leave the state of North Carolina. This should not deter you from getting the care and support you need.
Does BCBS of North Carolina Cover Mental Health & Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment?
Blue Cross North Carolina may cover co-occurring disorder treatment, such as treatment of depression or anxiety as well as addiction treatment under mental or behavioral health services.3 Depending on your level of coverage, mental health treatments may at least be partially covered.
It is common for those with substance use disorder (SUD) to also have a mental health condition and many rehab facilities offer integrated treatment to ensure an individual’s unique treatment needs are met. If you have Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, check the level of coverage you have for a co-occurring or dual diagnosis disorder.
Not Sure if You Need Rehab?
Take our free, 5-minute substance abuse self-assessment below if you think you or someone you love might be struggling with substance abuse. The evaluation consists of 11 yes or no questions that are intended to be used as an informational tool to assess the severity and probability of a substance use disorder (SUD). The test is free, confidential, and no personal information is needed to receive the result. This assessment can be used by anyone in or out of the state of North Carolina.
Our Treatment Centers
- California: Laguna Treatment Hospital
- Florida: Recovery First Treatment Center
- Florida: River Oaks Treatment Center
- Las Vegas: Desert Hope Treatment Center
- Locations Nationwide: Resolutions Recovery Residences
- Massachusetts: Adcare Treatment Hospital
- Mississippi: Oxford Treatment Center
- New Jersey: Sunrise House Treatment Center
- Rhode Island: Adcare – Outpatient
- Rhode Island: Adcare – Inpatient
- Texas: Greenhouse Treatment Center