Best Drug Detox Centers Near Me: Amenities and Accommodations
What is Detox?
Detoxification, also known simply as detox, is often the first step in recovering from drug or alcohol addiction.
Detox is the process by which the body rids itself of all addictive substances, and for individuals who are physically dependent on these substances, the process involves withdrawal. Withdrawal and detox can cause unpleasant and sometimes medically dangerous symptoms, which can make the process of detox seem intimidating and overwhelming. Finding a detox center that offers the best possible treatment can make the process safer, more manageable, and help prevent relapse.
The most effective detox centers combine a variety of treatment elements. Treatment should always be evidence-based, and the doctors, therapists, and other healthcare professional should be licensed and credentialed—as should the facility.
Most detox centers offer both behavioral interventions and treatment with medication. Individual treatment plans should be tailored to the individual and their needs.
Furthermore, while detox can be a helpful first step, it is typically not enough to support a person’s long-term recovery from drug or alcohol addiction. To maintain recovery over time, the the underlying thoughts, behaviors, and emotions that led to the substance abuse need to be addressed. An evidence-based rehab program can help teach these skills.1
How to Find the Best Detox Center
All detox centers are required to hold a license with the state in which they operate. Requirements for licensure vary between states, so it is best to look for a detox center that is not only licensed but also accredited by a national organization. Accreditation ensures that the detox center is held to the highest standards of care and is using safe, effective treatment methods. The Joint Commission, the National Committee for Quality Assurance, and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities are a few organizations that provide accreditations to detox centers.
The best detox centers base their treatment approach on therapy modalities and pharmacological interventions to effectively treat substance use disorder (SUD), the medical condition defined by the compulsive use of drugs or alcohol despite negative consequences.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) lists many treatment modalities that have been found to be effective in treating substance abuse. Some methods are effective for addiction to certain substances but may not be appropriate for other addictions. Make sure the treatment you are being offered has been shown to work for your specific addiction. For instance, detox from opioid addiction and alcohol addiction can be treated with medications, and research suggests that a combination of medication and behavioral interventions is the most effective approach when treating these addictions.1
Tips on Choosing the Best Detox Program
You want to find the best option to fit your needs. Call the facilities you’re considering and ask questions such as:
- Is the facility licensed and accredited? A state licensed and accredited program operates according to the state’s health and safety standards.
- Who provides care? Medically supervised detox should be done under the care of a doctor, certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine, and mental health professionals should be certified and licensed as well.
- What treatment models does the center offer? Some detox centers also offer residential and inpatient recovery, where patients stay at the facility for the entirety of the treatment. Other facilities provide outpatient services, allowing individuals to come for treatment, therapies, and counseling, but return home or to work during rehab. Some detox centers provide referrals to other treatment centers. Consult a therapist, doctor, or intake counselor to find out the best option for your needs.
- How long is the program? Program lengths vary. Explore your options and talk with a doctor or therapist to help you make the right choice for your treatment needs.
- What are the payment options? Ask if the detox center accepts your health insurance and speak to the facility’s insurance specialist to understand what your plan includes. In addition, ask about other ways to pay.
- What types of therapies, activities, and specialized programming does the facility offer? Beyond the core components of evidence-based addiction treatment, which may include detox, counseling, education, pharmacological therapy, and more, inquire about other programming. For instance, some centers may offer 12-step groups, nutritional counseling, recreational activities, exercise programs, faith-based groups, meditation, veteran-specific services, gender-specific programming, LGBTQ support, and more.
- Does it treat co-occurring conditions? Even if you’re not aware of a mental health condition, the program should screen for common mental health disorders, such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Co-occurring disorder treatment programs give equal attention to the substance use disorder and the mental health disorder.
- What kind of aftercare support is available? Recovery is an ongoing journey and doesn’t stop after you’ve graduated from a treatment program. Ask about aftercare services, like ongoing counseling, self-help groups, job placement assistance, and sober living homes.
Detox Amenities and Offerings
Some detox centers incorporate alternative treatment methods into their approach, which can help to address the unique needs of different individuals. These approaches may include spiritual or religious interventions, therapies like massage and yoga, or customized diet and exercise plans. At American Addiction Centers, additional amenities and offerings may include equine, art, or music therapy; yoga; meditation; mindfulness; Pilates; tai chi; fitness facilities; recreational outings; pools; acupuncture; gourmet meals; wellness therapy groups; and specialized treatment tracks for specific populations such as veterans, women, young adults, and more. While alternate methods of treatment can be helpful for some individuals, these offerings should not replace evidence-based treatment approaches.
Find a Detox Center Near Me
Ways to Get in Contact With Us
If you believe you or someone you love may be struggling with addiction, let us hear your story and help you determine a path to treatment.
There are a variety of confidential, free, and no obligation ways to get in contact with us to learn more about treatment.
- Call us at
- Verify Your Insurance Coverage for Treatment
Individual Treatment Plans
The best drug and alcohol detox centers tailor their treatment approaches to each individual. Addiction treatment cannot employ a one-size-fits-all approach. What works for one person may not be effective for another. Make sure the detox center offers individual attention and creates an individual treatment plan based on your unique needs.
Entering detox is often the beginning of recovery from addiction. The best detox centers offer continuity of care, either with further addiction treatment through the same facility, or they provide referrals to other treatment centers. Recovering from an addiction requires sufficient time in treatment. Seamless transitions between detox, residential care, and outpatient treatment can help to ensure the best chances of sustained recovery.