How to Pay for Rehab With Behavioral Healthcare Options (BHO)
American Addiction Centers is in-network with BHO. Addiction treatment could be free depending on your policy and co-pay.
What Is Behavioral Healthcare Options?
BHO was founded in 1991 and is a subsidiary of UnitedHealthcare. It arranges mental health, addiction treatment, work-life, and employee assistance services for its clients. Currently, BHO assists clients such as union trusts, third-party administrators, insurance carriers, and self-insured employers.2
BHO promotes personalized care in a setting that’s the least disruptive for the member’s work and personal lives while still providing appropriate treatment. The company works with providers and insurers to make sure care is necessary, fitting, and appropriately priced.2
ServicesBHO provides numerous services for its clients. These may include:
- Mental health and substance use disorder treatment. BHO helps members get the right care through mental health support services and drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Services include inpatient and outpatient care.1,3 BHO may cover all levels of care including detox, inpatient, residential rehab, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, and standard outpatient. Most assessments and therapy are covered.
- Employee assistance program (EAP). This program offers assessments, short-term counseling, referrals, and follow-up services. Everyone in a member’s household is eligible for this service. People use an EAP for problems such as grief and loss, substance use concerns, mental health issues, parenting issues, marital conflicts, and more. Anything you share with the counselor is completely confidential, and if you need more assistance, your counselor can help you find a cost-effective program or service that meets your needs.4
- Online resources. BHO provides links to online work-life resources, including:5
- Mental Health Matters, a directory with treatment options, research, statistics, legal issues, publications, and support for mental health issues.
- MEDLINE Plus, a government-run site that provides reliable and up-to-date information on health issues, including addiction and mental health.
- Mayo Clinic, a comprehensive directory of illnesses, including symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
- Follow-up care. Up to 40% of people hospitalized for a mental health condition have to go back within a year.6
Types of Addictions Typically Covered
BHO will typically cover most major addictions. To know for sure if you can receive treatment for the substance to which you are addicted, it’s best to check with BHO.
Some of the most commonly covered substances include:
- Prescription drugs, such as opioids, stimulants, and benzodiazepines.
Many rehab programs will be able to treat these addictions, so you should look for a facility that is covered by your BHO plan to get the treatment you need.
American Addiction Centers and other rehab centers are required to protect identifiable health information. They are generally not allowed to disclose to someone outside the program that you are seeking treatment there or any of your health information. However, they can share relevant information under certain circumstances, such as the following:
- You give your consent in writing.
- A court orders that the information be disclosed.
- It is needed in a medical emergency or for research or a program audit.
Your privacy as a client is taken extremely seriously and is protected under law.
How Do I Use It?
The first step is to verify your benefits and find out what your plan will cover. Keep in mind that people can have different plans and coverage varies depending on the plan.
You have a few options for verifying your benefits. You can call one of our admissions navigators at 888-966-8152, use the chat feature on our site, or use the form on this page.
We can help you find a good program for yourself or a loved one based on your particular situation.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). Member Homepage, Behavioral Healthcare Options, Inc.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). About BHO.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). Mental Health and Substance Use.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). Employee Assistance Program.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). Online Work-Life Resources.
- Behavioral Healthcare Options. (2019). Hospital Follow-Up Program.
Start your recovery today.
American Addiction Centers can help you get the care you deserve.