How to Choose a Recovery Center for Your Teen
Once you’ve come to the conclusion that your teen needs help with a substance addiction, the type of treatment center to choose for their recovery can be daunting. There are several things that can play into your decision on which recovery center you select.
Dual DiagnosisIf your child has been diagnosed with a mental-health condition that is being affected by or affects their substance abuse, treatment facilities need to be carefully assessed with the help of your child’s physician. Not every recovery center may be able to provide exactly the right combination of care and attention that your teen may need.
Criminal Justice System InvolvementIf your teenager has been ordered to seek treatment in lieu of incarceration, there are treatment facilities that have programs geared towards helping your teen resolve the issues that led them to substance abuse.
Type of FacilityThere are two general types of recovery treatment centers to explore. Outpatient treatment centers allow the individual to remain at home while residential treatment facilities provide a long or short-term experience away from home.
- Outpatient Treatment
- Short-term Residential Treatment
- Long-term Residential Treatment
Other ConsiderationsThere are many other things that need to be considered when choosing a rehab center for your teen. Just some examples include the following:
- What are the types of treatment offered (behavior modification, pharmaceutical administration, a combination of the two)?
- Will my child have the opportunity to continue their education (if your teen is in a long-term facility)?
- What involvement will family and friends have in the treatment?
- What is the facility’s cost and will the location add to my expenses (trips to and from can add up)?
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition).
- Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Information (2008). Residential Treatment Programs for Teens.
Last Updated on February 19, 2020