BCBS of Minnesota Insurance Coverage for Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Does Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Cover Rehab?
BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota may be able to cover all or at least part of the cost of rehabilitation. This will depend on your plan details and the level of care you need. Even if you have insurance coverage in Minnesota, you may still be covered to attend rehab in another state.
Finding a treatment center or rehab program for drug or alcohol addiction is an important step on your road to recovery. Sadly, in Minnesota, there were 1,188 reported drug overdose deaths from April 2020 to April 2021.1 If you or a loved one is battling with substance abuse, it is important to find out your level of coverage for rehab with BCBS of Minnesota. Bear in mind, what you will and will not be covered for will depend on your individual plan.
What Addiction Treatment Does BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota Cover?
BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota lists substance abuse under behavioral health conditions and may be able to partially cover substance use disorder treatment.3 Depending on your plan, BCBS Minnesota may cover at least part of the cost of:
- Medical Detox – Helps you safely go through the withdrawal process while you get rid of the harmful substances in your body. A medical detox uses medications or therapies to help you manage any potentially harmful side effects.
- Inpatient or Residential Rehab – Patients will stay at the rehab center and receive care from addiction treatment professionals. This is beneficial for individuals with a more severe substance use disorder as it gives them the opportunity to focus solely on their recovery.
- Outpatient Therapy or Rehab – Outpatient rehab allows patients to live at home and carry on with their day-to-day duties. Treatment will take place in different settings and the level of intensity will vary depending on the individual.
- Medications – In the addiction treatment process, medications like suboxone or methadone may be used to wean patients off of a certain drug. The aim of this is to help individuals go through the withdrawal process and prevent relapse.
Before going into an addiction rehab program, always check what your BCBS of Minnesota plan will and will not cover. You may find that you will have to leave Minnesota to attend a treatment facility that is right for you. This should not stop you from getting the support you need.
Does BCBS of Minnesota Cover Co-Occurring Disorder Treatment?
Co-occurring disorder treatment such as treatment of depression or anxiety as well as addiction treatment may be covered under mental or behavioral health services. Depending on your level of coverage, mental health treatments may at least be partially covered. If you have a co-occurring or dual diagnosis, your unique diagnoses will be considered and certain therapies or medications may be used in the treatment process.
It is common for those with substance use disorder (SUD) to also have a mental health condition. Many rehab facilities offer integrated treatment to ensure an individual’s unique treatment needs are met. If you have BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota, check the level of coverage you have for a co-occurring or dual diagnosis disorder.
Not Sure if You Need Rehab?
Take our free, 5-minute substance abuse self-assessment below if you think you or someone you love might be struggling with substance abuse. The evaluation consists of 11 yes or no questions that are intended to be used as an informational tool to assess the severity and probability of a substance use disorder. The test is free, confidential, and no personal information is needed to receive the result. This assessment can be used by anyone in or out of the state of Minnesota.
Our Treatment Centers Near You
About BCBS of Minnesota
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is a nationwide insurance provider that may cover rehab for drug and alcohol addiction depending on your plan and individual needs. BCBS of Minnesota is a nonprofit company that began in 1933 when 7 St. Paul hospitals formed the “Minnesota Hospital Association.”2 Today, one in three Minnesotans are served by BCBS Minnesota with over 2.5 million members.2 BCBS of Minnesota offers individual, family, as well as Medicare plans. These may include PPO and HMO plans. Plans are split into Gold, Silver, and Bronze levels which may vary on the out-of-pocket costs, deductibles, premiums, and other variables.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Drug Overdose Data. (subject to ongoing updates).
- BlueCross BlueShield Minnesota. Our Story.
- BlueCross BlueShield Minnesota. Coverage for behavioral and mental health conditions.
Rehabs That May Accept Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Insurance
When you invest and successfully complete 90 consecutive days at an American Addiction Centers facility, we believe that you have created the most solid foundation for your long-term goals of sobriety.
In the event that you experience a relapse, you are welcome back for a complimentary 30 days of our treatment*Learn about our brand promise
*Terms and conditions may apply, and results may vary.