SMART Recovery for Substance Abuse Treatment
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART Recovery is a group-based, volunteer led recovery model offering support meetings, skill learning, and scientifically based treatments to help participants overcome addiction.1 The SMART in SMART Recovery stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training. Founded in 1994, SMART recovery, is a nationwide, nonprofit organization serving as a non-spiritual alternative to AA and NA groups.2,3
SMART Recovery Uses & Goals
SMART recovery offers online and in-person meetings to help those suffering from substance based (alcoholism, marijuana, opioids, etc.) as well as behavioral based addictions (eating disorders, gambling, sex addiction). SMART recovery was built around a 4-point program around recovery through self-empowerment and evidence-based practices which includes:4
- Building and maintain the motivation to change.
- Coping with urges to use.
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors in an effective way without addictive behaviors.
- Living a balanced, positive, and healthy life.
Information taught through SMART recovery is heavily drawn from behavioral therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT), which focus on behavioral changes in order to help treat addiction.5
How to Find a SMART Recovery Meeting
Many of our facilities offer SMART recovery meetings. Explore our nationwide rehab facilities below.
- SMART Recovery. About SMART Recovery.
- SMART Recovery. History of SMART Recovery.
- SMART Recovery. Frequently Asked Questions.
- SMART Recovery. Our Approach.
- SMART Recovery. Purposes & Methods.